Monday, August 6, 2012

Personas.

Everyone has one. And it's become increasingly clear to me that once you have one, it can be pretty difficult to shake. Once a jock, always a jock. Once white trash, always white trash. Every year I told myself that I would be different the next year: edgier, hippier, popular even. Of course it never happened. You are who you are and struggle all you want, people are too lazy to keep up with you whilst you re-invent yourself. After applying this to myself, I realized that I will forever be Evie, the animal person, the adorable one. In third grade, my size built a foundation that would later become my phsod. I was Evie, the softspoken yet defiant little girl. Like I said, I tried to put myself above this persona, but it seems as though it's going to follow my anyway. So I guess this year, I'm going to have to embrace it. Which might not be a bad thing: According to my "research" (and just plain experience) guys like girls who want to be helped, and girls like girls who won't steal their spotlight.
So not helpless, but willing to be carted around like an airhead. If you can't tell, that's not me. I'm surprisingly independent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to call myself "tiny but mighty" or "fun-size", but I'll stop trying to fit in with the popular people. They'll all end up druggies next year anyways. But that doesn't mean I don't want them to like me. Just that I want them to like me without seing me as a threat to their man- or girl-power. The only solution: Fit in by standing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment